Dedicated to Materials Design Sustainability
Our mission in this space is to strive to have a positive impact on our society and environment by championing sustainable technology and education initiatives, both with customers and internally. Our practices include using energy efficiently, minimizing water and landfill waste, promoting and participating in recycling programs, and disposing of waste safely in compliance with all government regulations. Throughout our internal and external processes, we keep our carbon footprint and energy use as small as possible, all while designing the materials that uphold your brand’s integrity.
Techmer PM was awarded a Bronze rating through EcoVadis in 2022. This honor showcases our commitment to sustainability in areas beyond the environment, including labor practices, ethics, and procurement.
Sustainable Solution Technologies
Our sustainable solutions provide environmentally friendly materials without compromising on form or function.
Our additives and compounds help brands reduce consumption through lighter-weight materials, reduce food and content waste generation, purge compounds, extend product life, and maximize product usability for consumers.
Alternative Resin Technologies
Brands can achieve full product functionality and design with our specialty compostable solutions. Our additive and resin portfolio upholds physical properties in polymers while supporting your brand’s sustainability goals. Our technology can span from biobased to biodegradable as well as levels in between.
These additives and compounds help brands use post-consumer and post-industrial recycled plastics for use in rigid packaging, fiber, and other applications. Other specialty enablers include NIR sortable black colorants that are recognized by sorting scanners in recycling facilities for reduced environmental impact.
Reducing Our Footprint
While the polymer industry is defined by constant scientific innovation, our collective progress must go hand-in-hand with a commitment to positive environmental influence. We regularly follow practices that exemplify this commitment, including:
- Optimize purging procedures to maximize reduced water, power, and manpower during changeover, including internal use of our commercial purges
- Recycle electronics, ink cartridges, cardboard, pallets, mixed paper, scrap metal, plastic scrap, dust collection material, aluminum cans, glass, plastic liners, package peanuts, plastic bottles, batteries, and light bulbs
- Use waste-to-energy instead of waste-to-landfill at multiple production locations when recycling is not an option
- Maintain Operation Clean Sweep in all facilities to prevent pellet contamination in local water supplies and stormwater run-off into the ocean
- Uphold Green Flex agreement with Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) to increase our purchase of renewable wind energy to offset carbon output
- Cut our landfill contribution by reducing use of disposable items, such as Styrofoam cups, plastic utensils, and paper products
- Promote work-from-home culture to reduce carbon emissions from employee travel to and from facilities
- Shift to more energy-efficient equipment in our facilities, such as electric trucks and energy-efficient fluorescent and electronic ballast lighting at our California, Tennessee, and Illinois facilities
- Customize polymers with additives that comply with federal and state food packaging regulations, including California’s Proposition 65 on protection from chemical exposure in plastics